Whitney Tucker: A Bright Future Starts with Goodbye!

This is such an exciting time for me! I walk in the Spring Commencement, but will be awarded my degree in August. I need to complete my internship for my final degree requirements. I really wanted a specific type of internship (also one that could potentially turn into a job), so my first summer at SEMO I only targeted blended internships. While those didn’t work out for my first summer, this year I had enhanced my skills through my classes and AP’s, so I was accepted for almost all the ones I applied for! I selected the one that offered the most potential. It is actually a local internship, so that is pretty exciting!


I also have a job lined up for after graduation. I will be working on research and outreach for a non-profit, heritage foundation based out of St. Louis, Missouri. I’m very excited to start working in the field. I’m not the least bit anxious about the responsibilities. SEMO has provided so many
opportunities for experiential learning, that I know I am fully prepared. I was a bit nervous at the interview, but when they began listing my responsibilities, I kept thinking, “Oh! I did that in Dr. Hoffman’s class!” or “Yeah, that’s exactly what Dr. Clement’s had us work on!” I have never felt more confident after an interview in my life! I have loved every minute of being at SEMO, but after that interview, I think my feelings towards SEMO and the Department of History were beyond description!

I have thought of continuing on for my Ph. D. However, I want to work in the preservation field for a little bit, before I commit to anything. Right now, I think if I went for a doctorate, I would actually focus in LGBTQ history. It’s an under-explored field, and in most places, LGBTQ studies are placed under Women and Gender. Though a few large universities are placing them in their history departments or have faculty seeking to work with Ph.D candidates on the topic.

I am truly going to miss being at SEMO. It seems so odd for me now, the amount of confidence I have in myself and my abilities. When I first arrived here, a single mom with a full time job who was driving almost 2 hours to be here, I felt like a fraud. There I was surrounded by all these brilliant people, while I had been out of school for almost 7 years and was trying to crash course refresh myself on Chicago style footnotes. The students, the faculty, and the environment are what helped me succeed. No question went unanswered, no challenge was given without encouragement, and if I struggled, I always knew there were a plethora of professionals I could turn to and ask advice. Walking into Carnahan Hall the first time, I was scared, unsure, and unprepared for what I was going to be doing. Leaving here, I am strong, confident, and inspired. I will miss being at SEMO, but not because it is familiar and I don't want to face new challenges. I will miss being here because from the end of my first day of class, I was always made to feel as if I were a part of something wonderful.

To the incoming graduate students: take advantage of every opportunity. Never be afraid to speak up or ask questions. And always, always be confident in yourself. The faculty here see the promising things you can do and they will help guide you to achieve them!

I know that no matter what decision I make or where I end up, because of the training and education I received at SEMO, I am fully prepared for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rick Allen: Onward and Upward!

Sara Doll: Achieving Her Dreams